Saturday, October 12, 2013

Feliz Cumpleaños a Me

 October 6, 2013

A Moving Picture Journal Entry 1


(Below is the journal entry included in the video)

Journal Entry from October 6, 2013, the day of my birthday
La Pastura, Costa Rica.

After a difficult week beginning to learn a new language I decided to get away from the humidity and the heat of the valley by spending the night in the surrounding mountains. I planned to visit the highest peak and still active volcano, named after the city that was my temporary place of home and study, called Volcán Turrialba. I took a bus that ascended the mountain for one hour, then  I got  off at a very small farming and grazing town called La Pastura. This is the starting point for a long climb upward through open pastures, grazing livestock, and tropical forests, until after five hours you arrive at the base of an erupting volcano. 

I looked forward to everything about it but ended getting a little caught up by some local farmers while stuffing down a preparatory meal at the local restaurant and bar. I was at my table, and they were at the bar, drinking, laughing, and winding down after a long week of hard work. As best I could with the little Spanish I knew, I asked where would be a good spot to set up my hammock for the night. They said anywhere and continued to tell me all about the surrounding area. Once they mentioned a waterfall nearby I paid my bill and hurried off down the road in the direction they pointed. 

Although I never did find the one they had in mind, I hitchhiked to a bridge, and skipped on off down the rocky  river. The farther I went the more I forgot about my former residence at home and in Turrialba. It was the river and not roads that directed my way. It was an alive and sky-reaching jungle, not inanimate concrete buildings, that blocked my view and memory from the outside world.Eventually I came upon finding a waterfall of my own where without shame whatsoever I stripped down naked and bathed all alone. In that moment, I did not want to return to any form of structure. The remoteness of my location and the presence of solitude offered a spiritual refuge that comes only in such spontaneous moment as these. I suspended my hammock between moss covered trees along the narrow, gently flowing river. I layed down, closed my eyes, and sleep was interrupted only when I felt rain drops on my face. After realizing how thick the clouds had become I knew there was no way I could sleep out tonight. I was ill-prepared to sleep out in the rain- I had no tarp and I even forgot to bring a light. I made the only decision available and scrambled my way back to the road before dark and then walk an hour in the rain back to the restaurant where I made company earlier. 

When I returned it was the same guys as before sitting in the same chairs in front of the same empty glasses and a half dozen more. I wondered exactly how much they had to drink while I was gone, but they were just as talkative as before and soon learned of my desperation. They pulled up a chair next to them and immediately were buying me beer and food and whiskey to warm my blood. The bar owner said I could sleep on the floor of the bar as a heavy rained fell against a rickety old rust metal roof. It was everything I needed, but then the  farmer who I had made good acquaintances with insisted that I sleep in a bed in his house nearby. I turned down the offer because it was far too generous, but he kept telling me, "No problemo, mi muy rico. Tu dormes in mi casa," and then he would buy me another beer and yell "pure vida!" 

Once I accepted his generosity the night really got wild. Karaoke started and I must of sang an entire set of Johnny Cash before someone else decided to share the occupation. We finally made our way out of the bar and up the little hill and down the street and into his house. He showed me the room where I would stay, the one you see in this frame, and told me his wife would make me breakfast in the morning. I realized the depth of his generosity when I discovered that it was his daughters room where I slept. He had spent the night on an old rugged couch so that his daughter could sleep in his bed with mom so that I could have a bed of my own. It made me cry by the time I put it all together. The generosity of the farmer and his family will forever be one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given and it so happens to occur on the day of my birthday. 

In the morning we were all woken up at 5:30 by the rooster, and he quickly said goodbye and headed out to work on a Sunday. Meanwhile, we all slept in a few more hours and after eating a modest breakfast I said "muchos gracias" and walked out the door. Just outside there was a view of the entire valley thousands of feet below and the surrounding hillsides and grazing farm animals and the smell of fresh crisp mountain air. It was Sunday, and I spent my birthday hitch-hiking to the top of the volcano. There I found a stray puppy. He was the cutest little guy and I couldn't help but imagine he would become a fine travel companion in the months to come. I had wild thoughts of keeping him until I hitched another ride back down the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment